2011年6月8日星期三

Beverage Study-- Portfolio

March of 2011, I joined Degree course of Culinary Arts in Taylor's Lakeside University.
I thought I only have to learn about cooking, but there were other classes, such as: beverage study, food science and nutrition.

I would like to share my experience during beverage study class.

Beverage study, lecturer is Mr Joaqium.

I couldn't understand why I had to study about beverage.

It not my interest. However, I think campus arranged this class for students, would have their reasons, so just study it.

I'm graduated from Chinese independent school, my didn't study well on English.

So on the beginning of the class, few things I couldn't understand, but I was shy to ask.

Until few classes later, I realized that I would have to retake beverage study again in sem 2, if I continue like that. Then, I don't care about face problem, just asked what ever i don't understand. (Thanks to my classmates and Mr Joaqium, they didn't laugh on me.)

During the class, students must wear the dress code-- formal. Mr Joaqium really care about this, but is good, I think. When we work at hospitality industry, our dress should be formal to show that we are professional. So, just get used to it.

Sometime, Mr Joaqium's voice very low, have to be extremely concentrate, then only I could heard the lecture. I think this is on of the technic to let students concentrate on the class.

At the wine lessons, some of my classmates really interested on it. But wine, not my cup of tea. However, I would like to know more about it, and i would try to accept it.

After half of sem 1, I learnt the basic of beverage, I was enjoying on it. But still, it is one of the hardest subjects for me.


I want to share about the assignment. A very special assignment I never had before.

In Week 12, Mr Joaqium want us go to computer lab. He want us complete the assignment in 2 hours time (1 hour for preparation, 1 hour for presentation).

My group (Agus, Ria, Stefany and me) was prepare for vermouth. Agua, Ria and Stefany did the research and summaries the information, and me was doing the power point and presentation.


I don't think I had learn something during the preparation as we were just want to complete it and get mark, that's all. I don't like this kind of study style, I was not learning, I was just want mark. I found out that it is not easy to find a real information at internet, internet is too huge! And We did not know how to find the real information, so we just open all the link and find the same point in three sites, than it's the true, I think. We had limited time, we are the first group present. At last we just decided post whatever they summariesed.

When I was presenting, I didn't know what am I talking. I just read the slides. Then I think, why should I present? Why don't I just show the slides?

At the end of present, Mr Joaqium said most of the slides were wrong information, and he asked he could jsut give us 1 or 2 mark. My group continue listening to other group present in bad mode.

I don't like this kind of study, we just study for mark. But this is the fact, mark is everything.

From this assignment, I found out how to find a real information, how to prepare it in limited time. Through all, finding true information is important than presentation.


Sem 1 is going to end soon,

What I hope for this class just simple and easy-- pass the exam and go to sem 2 without repeat this subject.

And also, wish everyone pass this subject too. ( I think no problem for all of them, but it is a big problem for me.)

Good luck everyone!

没有评论:

发表评论